Bio: Ph.D. candidate at Saint Louis University, Pinto Laboratory. Viral immunologist in the making, horse-riding fitness junkie in the meantime. (she/her/hers)
Who I am
I’m E. Taylor Stone, scientist and viral immunologist by day, and hiking, Star Wars-loving, fiber-crafting, dancing, fitness-ing nutcase by night (or whenever I’m not doing science). I graduated from Hendrix College in Conway, Arkansas in 2018 with a Bachelor of the Arts in Biology, with an emphasis on microbiology. As an undergraduate, I served as a research assistant in the laboratory of Dr. Matthew Moran from 2015-2018. I also spent the summer of 2017 in the laboratory of Dr. Jeffrey Lewis at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. I joined the Biomedical Sciences doctoral program at the Saint Louis University School of Medicine in 2018, and joined the laboratory of Dr. Amelia Pinto in 2019. Currently, I’m in my fourth year as a Ph.D. student in the Pinto laboratory, where I focus on tick-borne flavivirus immunology.
What I do
Doctoral: Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, 2018 – present
Undergraduate: Hendrix College, B.S., Biology, 2015-2018
High School: Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts, 2016-2018
Adjunct Instructor, BIOL1240: Information Flow and Evolution Fall 2021
Academy of Science- St. Louis K-12 science fair judge Apr 2021
Young Scientists Program Curriculum Coordinator, WUSTL, St. Louis, MO 2020 – 2021
Young Scientists Program Cohort Liaison, St. Louis, MO 2019 – 2021
Part-Time Educator—Museum of Discovery, Little Rock, AR Apr 2018 – August 2018
Cell Biology Teaching Assistant—Hendrix College, Conway, AR Spring 2017, Spring 2018
Adv. Cell Biology Teaching Assistant—Hendrix College, Conway, AR Fall 2018
Where you can find it
- Stone, E. T., Hirsch, A. J., Smith, J. L., Brien, J. D., and Pinto, A. K. Titration and neutralizing antibody quantification by focus forming assay for Powassan virus. 16 Jun 2022. 3(3) STAR Protocols. DOI: 10.1016/j.xpro.2022.101473.
- Geerling, E., Murphy, V., Stone, E.T., Gazquez Casals, A. Hassert, M., O’Dea, A.T., Cao, F., Donlin, M.J., Elagawany, M., Elgendy, B., Pardali, V., Giannakopoulou, E., Zoidis, G., Schiavone, D.V., Berkowitz, A.J., Agyemang, N.B., Murelli, R.P., Tavis, J.E., Pinto, A.K., and Brien. J.D., Metal Coordinating Inhibitors of Rift Valley Fever virus Replication. bioRxiv. DOI: 2022.03.10.483712;
- A. B., Brien, J.D., … Stone, E. T.,… et al., and Sobhani, K. The Serological Sciences Network (SeroNet) for COVID-19: Depth and Breadth of Serology Assays and Plans for Assay Harmonization. mSphere. 2022 Jun 15:e0019322. DOI: 10.1128/msphere.00193-22.
- Stone, E. T.; Hassert, M.; Geerling, E.; Wagner, C.; Brien, J.D.; Ebel, G.D.; Hirsch, A.J.; German, C.; Smith, J.L.; Pinto, A.K.; Balanced T and B cell responses are required for immune protection against Powassan virus (POWV) in a virus-like particle (VLP) vaccination. Cell Reports. 38(7). DOI: 10.1016/j.celrep.2022.110388.
- Geerling, E.; Pinski, A.N.; Stone, E. T.; DiPaolo, R. J.; Zulu, M. Z.; Maroney, K. J.; Brien, J. D.; Messaudi, I.; Pinto, A. K. Roles of antiviral sensing and type I interferon signaling in the restriction of SARS-CoV-2 replication. iScience. Jan 21;25(1).
- Geerling, E.; Stone E. T.; Steffen, T. L.; Hassert, M.; Brien, J. D.; Pinto, A. K. Obesity Enhances Disease Severity in Female Mice Following West Nile Virus Infection. Frontiers in Immunology. 2021, 12, 3442.
- Pinto, A. K.; Hassert, M.; Han, X.; Barker, D.; Carnelley, T.; Branche, E.; Steffen, T. L.; Stone E. T.; Geerling, E.; Viramontes, K. M.; Nykiforuk, C.; Toth, D.; Shresta, S.; Kodihalli, S.; Brien, J. D.The Ability of Zika virus Intravenous Immunoglobulin to Protect From or Enhance Zika Virus Disease. Frontiers in Immunology. 2021, 12, 3444.
- Sariol, C.A.A.; Pantoja, P.; Serrano-Collazo, C.; Rosa-Arocho, T.; Armina-Rodríguez, A.; Cruz, L.; Stone, E.T.; Arana, T.; Climent, C.; Latoni, G.; Atehortua, D.; Pabon-Carrero, C.; Pinto, A.K.K.; Brien, J.D.D.; Espino, A.M.M. Function Is More Reliable than Quantity to Follow Up the Humoral Response to the Receptor-Binding Domain of SARS-CoV-2-Spike Protein after Natural Infection or COVID-19 Vaccination. Viruses. 2021, 13, 1972.
- Preprint: Steffen, T.L.; Stone E.T.; Hassert, M.; Grimberg, B.T.; Espino Hernandez, A.M.; Pantoja, P.; Climent, C.; Hoft, D.F.; George, S.L.; Sariol, C.A.; Pinto, A.K.; Brien, J.D. The receptor binding domain of SARS-CoV-2 spike is the key target of neutralizing antibody response in humans.
- Hassert, M.; Geerling E.; Stone E.T.; Steffen, T.L.; Feldman, M.S.; Dickson, A.L.; Class, J.; Richner J.M.; Brien, J.D.; Pinto A.K. mRNA induced expression of human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 in mice for the study of the adaptive immune response to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2. PLoS Pathog. 2020; 16(12): e1009163. DOI: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1009163.
- Steffen, T.; Hassert, M.; Hoft, S. G.; Stone, E. T.; Zhang, J.; Geerling, E.; Grimberg, B. T.; Roberts, M. S.; Pinto, A. K.; Brien, J. D. Immunogenicity and Efficacy of a Recombinant Human Adenovirus Type 5 vaccine against Zika Virus. Vaccines 2020; 8; 170; DOI: 10.3390/vaccines8020170.
- Brien, J. D.; Hassert, M.; Stone, E. T.; Geerling, E.; Cruz-Orengo, L.; Pinto, A. K. Isolation and Quantification of Zika Virus from Multiple Organs in a Mouse. J Vis Exp. 2019; 150:e59632; DOI:10.3791/59632.
- McClung, M.; Taylor, N. T.; Zamzow, B. K.; Stone, E. T.; Abad, H.; Moran, M.D. The threat of energy diversification to a bioregion: a landscape-level analysis of current and future impacts on the US Chihuahuan Desert. Reg Environ Change. 2019; 19:1949. DOI: 10.1007/s10113-019-01525-4.
- Howden, C. M.; Stone, E. T.; Nallur V.; McClung M.; Moran, M.D. The impact of Bakken/Three Forks unconventional oil and gas development on important wildlife landscapes in North Dakota. Land Degrad Dev. 2019; 30:524-532. DOI: 10.1002/ldr.3245.
- Stone, E. T.; Murray, R. Moran M.D. Microbial diversity in the thermal springs within Hot Springs National Park. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science. 2018; 72:31-37.
- Rebein, M.; Davis, C. N.; Abad, H.; Stone, E. T.; del Sol; J.; Skinner; N. and M.D. Moran. Seed dispersal of Diospyros virginiana in the past and the present: Evidence for a generalist evolutionary strategy. Ecol Evol. 2017; 00:1–9. DOI: 10.1002/ece3.3008.
Member, International Cytokine & Interferon Society Jun 2021 – present
Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science Apr 2020 – present
Member, American Society for Tropical Medicine & Hygiene Mar 2020 – present
Member, American Society for Virology Jan 2020 – present
Trainee member, American Association of Immunologists Apr 2018 – present
Member, American Society for Microbiology May 2017 – present
Posters and Presentations
Virtual Meeting of the 9th Annual International Cytokine & Interferon Society Oct 2021, Oral presentation, awarded Milstein Abstract Award
Virtual Meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene November 2020, Oral presentation, awarded American Committee Arthropod-borne viruses Travel Award
39th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Virology March 2020, Poster presentation, awarded American Society for Virology Student Travel Award(meeting canceled due to COVID-19 pandemic)
Autumn Immunology Conference—Chicago, IL November 2019, Poster presentation, awarded AAI Young Investigator Award
Arkansas Academy of Science—Jonesboro, AR April 2018, Oral presentation, awarded first place for undergraduate oral presentation in biology
Southeastern Regional Yeast Meeting—Memphis, TN March 2018, Poster presentation
Southeast Regional IDeA Conference—Morgantown, WV October 2017, Poster presentation, awarded first place for cell signaling poster presentation
Arkansas INBRE 2017, Fayetteville, AR October 2017, Poster presentation, awarded ‘Honorable Mention’ for biology poster presentation
Central AR Undergraduate Summer Research Symposium—Little Rock, AR July 2017, Poster presentation, awarded for ‘Excellence in Poster Presentation’
Ecological Society of America—Portland, OR August 2017, Oral presentation
Arkansas Academy of Science—Conway, AR April 2017, Oral presentation